www.for-ne.org: Friends Of Rail - NorthEast
This page is established to advocate for, and to report and comment on, rail transit and freight initatives in the Northeast. We advocate a diverse, multi-modal transportation infrastructure and support transit-oriented development. We believe that rail transit is good energy policy, good environmental policy, and fosters social and environmental justice. Our particular focus is the Boston area, but we are concerned globally.
Return to top
- www.for-ne.org: Friends Of Rail - NorthEast: home page.
- northeast.for-ne.org: Friends Of Rail - NorthEast Projects & Commentary: This section is for information pertaining to the Northeast region - essentially from metropolitan New York east and north.
- newengland.for-ne.org: Friends Of Rail - New England: Rail and transit developments, mostly from the other five New England states: rail transit, freight and tourist trains in Vermont, Maine's Downeaster Amtrak service, proposed High-Speed Boston-Montreal service, Rhode Island freight improvements, Connecticut Shore Line East and MetroNorth service.
- boston.for-ne.org: Friends Of Rail - Boston Regional Rail: As our local regional rail transit provider, the MBTA gets its own page. Also, North-South Rail Link and southern New Hampshire (extension of service on the Lowell Branch to Nashua and from the Haverhill branch to Manchester) and Rhode Island initiatives (expansion of T service south of Providence), and Boston-area freight issues are discussed.
- northside.for-ne.org: Friends Of Rail - NorthSide: This page is mostly focused on the T's "North Shore Transit Improvements MIS" and related projects. We are stong advocates for the implementation of "rapid headway" commuter rail as far as Beverly on the Newburyport/Rockport branch, and the revival of service on the Saugus and Danvers branches, using modern, cost-effective DMU ("Diesel Multiple Unit") technology. Proposed extension of T service on the Newburport branch through Portsmouth to Kittery is also included.
- rockport.for-ne.org: Friends Of Rail - Rockport: This page is to cover and support activities around our local station. A T-funded station reconstruction is on the horizon and local advocates are working to improve the station area in the meanwhile. A variety of aesthetic and functional improvements are possible, including sidewalk and signage improvements, better integration and support for station-area commercial activities, a pedestrian path along Mill Brook to the sea and downtown, and preservation and re-use of the historic freight house and derrick.
This is an amateur site in support of a diverse transportation infrastructure. The purpose of this page is to advocate for, and to report and comment on, rail transit and freight initatives in the NorthEast. No warantee of fitness or merchantability is made. All information is posted as accurately as possible and is not intended to trash anyone. If we are wrong we will issue a correction. but no other guarantee is made.
The materials published on this site are copyright the author.
| 2005-01-14 || NewEngland: link in Inland Route, Downeaster. |
| || Added xref of pages in each section. |
| 2005-01-13 || NorthSide: work on MIS projects. |
| 2005-01-12 || Rockport: added MSPAC formation. |
| || clean up headers/trailers. |
| 2005-01-04 || subpages are started as well. |
| 2005-01-01 || initial content, page structure. |
| 2004-12-31 || first test page. |
| 2004-12-28 || established domains. |
| || copyright © Friends Of Rail 2004, 2005 |
This is: http://www.for-ne.org/index.html